There are only 2 winnable paths through this selection to depose Cappleman & one is much better than the other
To be frank, I’d rather be playing with my synthesizers and drum machines, but this is important. At the end of 2017, I vowed to myself and probably G-d, that if I could do one more thing in life to love my neighbor, let it be to help replace the incumbent 46th Ward Alderman in the next election with someone more talented and empathetic, and less dishonest, corrupt and hateful. Hopefully, what I have condensed as much as I could, is a healthy mixture of realism, pragmatism, and my ever dominant idealism. I think it is.
This is a tough challenge: who should the 46th Ward strategically send into the fire breathing dragon pit called the Chicago City Council, that can escape alive with a gem or two? Empathy and great ideas are essential but won’t slay the crooks extraordinaire in our City Council.
The candidates by ballot order
Marianne Lalonde – The most desirable winnable path: #1 Recommendation
Marianne is the candidate sitting in the sweet spot of all factors. A real progressive with actual experience in national progressive politics. She is truly independent and the only viable challenger not beholden to outside groups.
Get to know Marianne and you will realize this is not a person you can push around. We need this to turn ideas into reality. City Council machine hacks are not going to be able to get over Marianne’s head and fool her.
- Marianne is involved deeply with the community every moment of her spare time, well before her candidacy.
- Marianne is a doer not a talker, whether it’s being President of the LANA block club, helping put rent control on ballot, spearheading the LSD Wilson Avenue exit removal resistance, as a member of the Clarendon Park Advisory Council, part of the committee to save Uplift, serving at Sarah’s Circle, supporting tiny houses or other things.
- Marianne has a PhD in her tool-set, you have to love her hashtag #ScienceAgainstTheMachine. I’d say Marianne would easily be the most math savvy member of City Council, and perhaps the only one truly up to the task. It is time to throw away Cappleman’s dishonest bogus ‘evidence based’ bullsh*t. Real science and not fake science should rule a multi-billion dollar budget that millions of people depend on or should be able to depend on.
- Marianne really understands and is unusually fluent on corruption, housing, healthcare and poverty issues.
- Marianne can appeal fairly to a wide economic range of voters, especially since all residents are equal to her. These factors are essential to forming an election winning coalition that smashes Cappleman.
Vote for Marianne in the General and Runoff Elections and you have the best chance of deposing Cappleman and getting a non-machine alderman with the smarts and strength to make things actually happen afterwards.
You can’t have all this with any other viable candidate, it’s just that simple.
- Erika Wozniak Francis – The less desirable winnable path. I absolutely love the CTU and would vote for Erika in a runoff against Cappleman. Historically though, CTU candidates are warm and fuzzy campaigners, but once elected quickly morph into basic issue City Council members. The last CTU candidate elected, 10th Ward Ald. Susan Garza, her vote stats are the same as Cappleman. If you want an establishment-level candidate with machine potential (Mayor? Toni Preckwinkle, CTU endorsed as is Erika) or just a fresh face to protest and complain about ineffective representation after the honeymoon, vote for Erika. Be honest with yourself, do you really think as quiet as CTU endorsed Erika is about who she supports for Mayor, that she is going to stand up against a CTU endorsed Chair of the Cook County Democratic Party Mayor? If you do, come on over, I have a viaduct for sale. Erika does have the potential to beat Cappleman in a runoff, but again that’s a small trade-up from Cappleman.
- Justin Kriendler – I like Justin, I really do, but this candidacy has zero chance of making it into a runoff so I’m sorry to say can only siphon votes away from the challengers with runoff potential. If you’re a relative or friend, and/or don’t care about reelecting Cappleman, vote for Justin.
- Incumbent Alderman Cappleman – If you like the status quo, tax and fee increases, inequity in favor of the wealthy and outside groups at your expense, and all that corruption and dishonesty, vote for Cappleman. The volumes of evidence are way too numerous to discuss here. If you care about easily available facts and the equality of all humans, do your homework and vote for someone else. I’m not gonna address it here, but if you are a Cappleman supporter and have ever wondered how Trump supporters can be so blind to Trump, now you know, because you yourself are fooled as well.
- Angela Clay – I love Angela Clay, I would vote for her in a runoff against Cappleman, however she came too late to the party to set up a winnable campaign. I’ve been preaching this for years now, challengers to Cappleman are going to need at least six months before the General Election, not three or less. Angela didn’t listen to me, ha! If you want to reelect Cappleman, vote for Angela in the General Election. Makes me sad to say it, I really really like her, but at this point, her campaign may have very honorable intentions but in actual environment and time ends up being just a spoiler candidacy and General Election voters may not be likely to vote for another challenger in the Runoff Election in the same numbers as they did in the General Election, exactly what happened in the last 2 elections that put and kept Cappleman in power. Learn from history! I stress this, her campaign won’t be developed enough to beat Cappleman in a runoff, though I would happily vote for her in a Runoff Election against Cappleman anyway.
- Jon-Robert McDowell – I like Jon-Robert, I really do, but this candidacy has zero chance of making it into a runoff so I’m sorry to say can only siphon votes away from the challengers with runoff potential. If you’re a relative or friend, and/or don’t care about reelecting Cappleman, vote for Jon-Robert.
You may not like it, but it’s direct & honest advice about your vote & the election results that come from it
These recommendations are based on facts, history and years of observation. Any he said/she said or bashing comments will be deleted. I’m not looking for debate, I’m just sharing what should be valuable insights to you. Measurable strategic truths and historical facts predictive of the future do not always sit well with many.
This is real for 50,000+ 46th Ward residents, even truly the whole of Chicago and it can’t be done any other way, sorry.
I implore you to look at the entire ward/city of facts, and ask yourself, do you really feel the candidate you will vote for in the General Election has a realistic and achievable plan to win either the General Election or a Runoff Election? Warm fuzzies and idealistic attention to details are all good, but if you truly want Cappleman gone, there are only two paths that go there, one is much better than the other, and that is Marianne Lalonde.
This is not a video game with results built in pixels, real people will gain and lose if you are wrong. Consider what I have said.
Thanks so much for listening!
Please sign this Petition:
People of Chicago Demand Verifiable Transparency of Ald Cappleman
Be sure to join the Election 46 Facebook Group!